Friday, July 22, 2011

Insuring and the preparation for the end of the world



My job is to rent storage units. I sit in my office, and when someone wants a storage unit….I rent them one.

I have one customer who currently has four 20×30 foot storage units that he pays close to $900 a month to keep. The contents of these units are supplies he will need in case of an apocalypse…..non-perishable food items….things to make fire….tents….water….

Now, I guess my question would be: if you have spent THIS MUCH time and money into the preparation for the end of the world, are you rooting for it to actually happen?

I pay an outrageous amount of money for car insurance. Every 6 months I write a huge check with the HOPE that I won’t need the services of the company I’m paying. IF ALL GOES WELL, that was a complete waste of money….yet it’s the law, so it gets paid….but if you spent ALL of your free time….and close to 11,000 a year….on storing supplies so that you would be able to survive a disaster or a breakdown of civilization, wouldn’t you be DEVASTATED if you died in a hospital of old age and never needed any of it?

YOU ALSO MUST CONSIDER THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW ABOUT YOUR STASH OF SURVIVAL SUPPLIES….in the event of an “every man for himself” all-out cluster fuck, are the people that know what you’re keeping back there a liability? Am I in danger for what I know? Or will my years of standing guard outside of his fortress of canned beans and bottled water allow me the opportunity to tag along to the mountains/caves with him? I will no doubt hear I told you so’s the whole way….but if the alternative is death via zombies/Nazis/Russians….I guess that’s something I’ll have to deal with.

My loyal service certainly won’t be enough to keep me in his good graces in this nomad society we now live in. I will need a skill that is valuable. I must start learning to hunt with a stick or catch fish with my bare hands….this will certainly take YEARS to master….but in the end, will pay off when I’m the only one who can do it. After learning this skill though, I too will be hoping one day I get to use it….otherwise, what was the point? I coulda just stayed unprepared and ignorant and ate that many more jack in the box tacos. Besides, I know where that guy’s shit is and I’m closer to it than he is. I may be dumb and fat….but a foot race is alot easier to win if you get a decent head start…..even easier if you cheat.

I’d probably do OK in a post-apocalyptic world….but if I never have to find out, I’m fine with that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers